Picture windows are oversized windows that feature a small, but distinguished frame. Typically picture windows are placed to create a frame around a natural view. Picture windows are also referred to as fixed windows since they do not open.
Benefits and Advantages Of Picture Windows
- Energy Efficient – these windows do not open which means that they have a tight seal that will keep your inside air in and outside air out.
- Safe - most picture windows are made with tempered glass which is up to five times stronger than regular glass making this type of glass difficult to break.
- Versatile – they can be custom made and can be paired with any other type of window. They are often times also used as the focal point for where the other windows are placed and even how the house is built in terms of layout of its rooms.
- Illumination – replacement picture windows are ideal for letting loads of sunlight into your home without the accompanying heat. They allow the sun to come in unobstructed by having only glass and by the way they are shaped; horizontally wider.
Vinyl Picture Window Tips
- Placement – These are ideal for homes that have a view of the mountains or the ocean as well as those that are on top of a hill or that have a beautiful garden. They are also ideal for homes that have landscaped yards that include water features such as a cascading waterfall, fountain, a gazebo or even a greenhouse.
- Use – If these are primarily for illumination they can ideally be placed in a breakfast nook or sun room. Wherever they are placed you will have a warm and cheery space that will be very welcoming to other members of the family and also for guests.
- Window Treatments – Though one may think that using a window treatment on vinyl picture windows defeats the purpose of having a picture window, window treatments are absolutely necessary for some individuals. If you must use window treatments use those that can slide away from the window easily or use sheer fabrics that allow light in even when closed. Take note of the width of your window as if it is quite large you may need to get custom curtains or drapes made. This can be advantageous in the sense that you get the opportunity to get a window treatment that is totally you and it has the disadvantage of being more expensive.