Double-hung windows are the most popular window style today. Advanced engineering makes double-hung windows unbelievably easy to open and close. They come in two main variations, horizontal and vertical, and allow the homeowner to open both sections of the window. The glass is installed on tracks and slides in either direction. Double-hung windows are one of the most affordable types of vinyl window. They come in a variety of sizes so you can find them for any room in your house.
Benefits and Advantages of Vinyl Double-Hung Windows
- Safe; vertical double hung windows are ideal for homeowners with small children or pets as you can open only the top portion of the window, out of reach for pets and children.
- Versatile; Double-hung windows can fit the style or era of any home. These windows come in various shapes, sizes, and colors, ideal for any room throughout the house.
- Can be easily used along with screens and air conditioners; they don’t hinder placement of these because of how they open. They slide up and down or right and left and do not protrude out or in so they can be used with AC units and insect and bug screens.
- Easy to clean; newer designs of double hung windows have sashes that tilt out making it easy to wipe them clean. There are also double hung windows with removable sashes which means you could even wash them under running water.
Double-Hung Window Tips
- Increase energy savings; for increased energy efficiency, have your double hung windows custom fitted which allows you to take full advantage of quadruple window stripping.
- Increase aesthetic appeal. One way you can increase the visual appeal of these types of windows is to choose those that have patterned glass. You can find glass with patterns being very simple to those with very intricate detail.
- Ensure they are professionally installed. Though you may be tempted to do installation yourself to save on money this is never recommended. You can get the best use out of your windows if they are professionally installed.
- Cleaning; Double hung windows with removable sashes or tilt out sashes are very easy to clean. Simply remove and wipe away the dirt or dust with a damp cloth.