Casement Windows in Cleveland and Columbus, OH
Casement windows are those windows that open inwards or outdoors in pretty much the same way you open a door. They differ from other types of windows in that they don’t have sashes but instead have cranks. This is the best way to distinguish these from other types of windows as they are the only type that cranks open.
Benefits and Advantages of Casement Windows
- Safer – vinyl casement windows are one of the hardest windows to break into. This is due to the locking mechanism that they utilize. These windows have locks that are embedded in the frame and are shaped like hooks. Since they are within the frame of the window, a crook cannot simply pry them open like other vinyl windows.
- Can be open right out - If you stop and think about it you will find that most types of windows don’t allow for the entire window space to be open. This is not true of casement windows as you have the ability to swing the window out opening up the entire space.
- Energy efficient – these are the best type of windows when it comes to energy efficiency. The only other types of windows that surpass casement windows in this area are fixed windows. Casement type windows provide a better seal because of how the window is closed; when the wind blows against the window it actually presses the window against the frame making the seal even tighter.
- Overall good buying choice – these are more affordable than other types of windows. They are also good for adding value to your home. This makes them ideal for installing when moving into an old house or when planning to sell your current home.
Casement Window Tips
- Placement – since they open outwards they are ideal for use in areas where it is hard to reach for a window and lift or slide it open. This includes in areas such as over appliances, sinks, counters etc. They are also suitable for areas where there is not a lot of walking space inside.
- Safety and Escape – these are often times used in bedrooms and basements as they allow a homeowner to fulfill the requirement of the fire code. This is because they have the ability to open all the way so even if the window is not overly large, the average person can escape through them in the occurrence of a fire or some other emergency.
- Maintenance and Cleaning – since casement windows open all the way out you can easily clean them even if there is no room for your to clean them from the inside of your home. You can simply open the window then step outside where you will be able to have full and free access to all parts of the window and will be able to give it a thorough clean. You can also disengage the arm hinge so that you can fully access the tracks, the frame and the glass for cleaning.