Bow & Bay Windows
Are the central rooms of your home illuminated by large, brilliant bow and bay windows? Sitting together basking in sunlight in the summer or watching snow fall in the winter, these windows bring family together.
Bay windows consist of three windows in one frame and can help give the illusion of more space in a room. Bow windows are similar, but can contain 3, 4 or 5 windows in one frame. Typically bay window have smaller sidelites with one large center lite. The center lite is usually two times wider than the sidelites. You will find the majority of these to be double hung or casement windows.
A Bow window features the same size glass throughout and is often framed in an arch shape. Read on below for more features and considerations for buying these windows.
Benefits and Advantages of Bay & Bow Windows
- Versatility – These windows are known for being in Victorian styled homes but are also used in modern homes. These windows are typically installed in kitchens and living rooms, but can also work in bedrooms.
- Ventilation – Bow and Bay windows usually have at least two windows that can be opened. This means that when they are open you have ventilation from two different sources or directions coming into a room. This is great for a beautiful day when a nice gentle breeze is blowing outside.
- Aesthetically Pleasing – Can nicely frame a view; since these windows are usually larger, they not only let in a lot of light but allow your outdoor scenery to become a focal point of your space. Bay or bow windows are an ideal frame for a panoramic view, make spaces seem larger, and look great from the outside or inside.
Tips for Choosing Bay Windows and Bow Windows
- Window Treatments – Sometimes people have a hard time finding a window treatment for their bay or bow windows. Popular options include roman shades, roll up blinds, or valances.
- Practicality – You can use the extra space provided by the large sills inside bay windows in a number of ways. While the traditional use is for plants and decorative elements you can use it as a sitting area by getting a cushion cut to shape and size, wrapped with your choice of fabric and accented by some cushions. You can then use this area as your reading nook.
- Installation – Since bow windows usually have a curve to them you have to purchase window hardware that is made especially for this type of window. These include bendable and adaptable, tracks, rods and other materials. Because of this installation of bow or bay windows as well as others is best left to the professionals.
If it’s time to replace the central windows in your living room, kitchen, or bedroom, you should consider a beautiful bow or bay window. If you have them installed in your home by Larmco certified contractors, you also receive the limited lifetime warranty, protecting your investment for as long as you own your home.
Request an estimate from Larmco today over the phone or through the form on this page and let us help you choose the best styles for your space.